Tag Archives: English paper piecing

Finish: Friendship star quilt

Quilt outside

TA DAAAAAAHHH! This is a finish from late 2014 of which I am very proud. Over the last couple of years, I’ve shared my progress with you all, from the completion of the quilt top, to lessons learned, to its basting. That basting was my first attempt at pin-basting (previously, I only hand-quilted, so I used thread-basting) and after starting to quilt with my sewing machine, I realised that my pins were spaced too far apart! This resulted in ugly puckers on the back of the quilt (and not little ones that I could turn a blind eye to, either!). So, I had to unpick all the teeny tiny quilting stitches I had done, and remove the pins, then re-baste. I was quite discouraged, so I left the quilt aside for several months until I was motivated enough again to finish it. This time, with the pins MUCH closer together, quilting ran a lot smoother – there are now NO puckers on the back of the quilt! It’s heavy work to pull a king-sized quilt through a domestic machine, I can tell you.

???????????????????????????????

For binding, I decided to have a scrappy binding using Pezzy prints from Moda that I had in my stash.

???????????????????????????????

I also added a label which I hand-embroidered myself.

???????????????????????????????

Here are the specs for the quilt:

Quilt size: 250cm x 220cm

Quilt top: English paper pieced diamonds, quilting cotton, poly thread. Fabric: solid white, various cotton prints. Border: Solid white cotton

Batting: Quilter’s dream poly.

Quilt back: Pearl Bracelet in Anchor by Lizzy House for Andover fabrics.

Quilting: Machine quilted with white thread.

Binding: Double-fold bias binding, using 12 different fabrics from the Pezzy line by American Jane for Moda Fabrics.

Advertisements

WIP – Grandmother’s Garden progress

???????????????????????????????

In the last few months, I’ve posted about my new hand-sewing project (here and here, if you are interested!). I’ve put the flowers I’ve made so far together, with a white hexie border, and some mini yellow flowers between the big flowers to cut the white space a bit. I think they brighten the quilt, don’t you?

I’m happy with how it looks so far, and maybe I’ve gone a bit crazy, but I’ve been having so much fun that I’ve decided to make it into a full king size quilt! 🙂

WIP: Grandmother’s garden, hexies so far

I spoke to you all a couple of weeks ago about my current hand-sewing project – a paper-pieced Grandmother’s Garden quilt. So far I have made five flowers. It’s so relaxing and much much less awkward than paper piecing friendship stars (no problems with points, and no holes in the centre!).

As far as I know, most grandmother’s garden flowers have just one “layer” of petals, but some have two and I quite like the possibilities that gives for playing with colours. Also, it makes the flowers bigger and means fewer are needed to finish a quilt!

I like my flowers so far but I will be also using warmer colours for a bit of balance, they are a bit “cold” in my eyes so far! Do you prefer “warm” or “cold” colours when crafting? Or does it matter at all?

Friendship star quilt – finished quilt top!

Image

I recently finished my “Friendship Star” quilt top! I started in August 2011 so it really was a long-term piecing project! I put the stars together using the English paper piecing method, with plastic diamond templates. A total of 188 stars went into this quilt, there must be thousands of diamonds altogether! To be honest, I don’t mind that it took a long time, it was a lovely project to hand-piece in the evenings listening to music or watching tv. I used every single piece of fabric in my stash on this. Next, I have to piece the back and quilt it, I think I will try machine quilting, I don’t want to spend another 18 months hand quilting it! 🙂 I have the backing fabric pre-washed and ironed, and I just received a walking foot for my sewing machine, so I’m good to go!

It was inspired by the Crazy Mom Quilts blog – her post on this quilt is here: http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.fr/2011/08/oh-my-stars-progress.html