Here is my second post about Little Dorrit & Co’s Summer Nights Stitch-Along. This week, I finished the embroidery. I decided to use a green-blue thread for the wings instead of black, I thought the black thread was too stark beside the other colours.
In this instalment, I learned how to do split stitches, satin stitch (I need to work on getting this neater!), lazy daisy stitch, and french knots. That’s a lot of learning! 🙂 It was a lot of fun to do.
In the next instalment, we’ll be shown how to display the embroidery in a hoop. However, I think I will instead make it into a mini-quilt, as this will suit my son’s bedroom wall better.
I’ve never really done any embroidery, but it’s a craft I’ve always wanted to try. So when I saw this post on Sew Mama Sew about Little Dorrit & Co’s Summer Nights Stitch-Along, I decided to stitch-along!
I had to go shopping for a small embroidery hoop, and while I was in my sewing shop, I spied a fat quarter of starry fabric for sale that I thought would suit the project. To mark the template, I used a Prym Aqua Trickmarker which I already had in my sewing box. So these bright blue lines will all disappear once I’ve finished!
This week, I practised running stitches, back stitches and long straight stitches. I’m familiar with all those stitches already so it’s a nice way to ease myself into embroidery!
My Friendship Star Quilt top has been finished for so long (since last March!) but I’ve been putting off basting and quilting it. This is for several reasons, mostly I’ve been intimidated by it’s size, and by the fact that it will be the first quilt I’ll machine quilt!
It has been niggling at me for a while, and so I made a sort of New Year’s Resolution to finish it in the first half of 2014. I needed a free day when I had nothing else on, and had my son in day care, for basting. The reason? Well, I baste on the floor of my apartment, it takes several hours to do, and basting and toddlers running around don’t mix! 🙂
Anyway, I decided to pin baste, because that’s what my Quiltmaking for Beginners book advises if you’re machine quilting. I’ve always thread basted previously, so this was much quicker because I didn’t have to pin first. I still ended up with sore muscles, but the finished quilt will be worth it! I plan to quilt it in the next fortnight.
One question, how far apart do you put your safety pins when basting? I’m not sure I used enough.
In the last few months, I’ve posted about my new hand-sewing project (here and here, if you are interested!). I’ve put the flowers I’ve made so far together, with a white hexie border, and some mini yellow flowers between the big flowers to cut the white space a bit. I think they brighten the quilt, don’t you?
I’m happy with how it looks so far, and maybe I’ve gone a bit crazy, but I’ve been having so much fun that I’ve decided to make it into a full king size quilt! 🙂
I spoke to you all a couple of weeks ago about my current hand-sewing project – a paper-pieced Grandmother’s Garden quilt. So far I have made five flowers. It’s so relaxing and much much less awkward than paper piecing friendship stars (no problems with points, and no holes in the centre!).
As far as I know, most grandmother’s garden flowers have just one “layer” of petals, but some have two and I quite like the possibilities that gives for playing with colours. Also, it makes the flowers bigger and means fewer are needed to finish a quilt!
I like my flowers so far but I will be also using warmer colours for a bit of balance, they are a bit “cold” in my eyes so far! Do you prefer “warm” or “cold” colours when crafting? Or does it matter at all?
I finished my last handmade project a while back (my crochet butterfly and heart project – there’ll be a post shortly!) and so I was thinking about what I could start as a new wireless do-in-front-of-the-tv project. I came up with hexagons! I’ve decided to make some sort of Grandmother’s Garden quilt. I say “some sort” because I still don’t know what size it will be or where I’ll use it.
As with my Friendship Star quilt, I used Quilt Patis as my templates. I know they are a bit pricey and hard to get but I don’t trust myself to cut my own paper templates! So far I’ve made 100 hexies, more or less. The fabric I’m using is all fabric I have in my stash, I’m trying to be economical and not buy anymore until I’ve done at least a bit of stash-busting! 🙂
I love the Attic24 blog, it’s partly what got me to learn how to crochet back in January. I saw this “heart tree” on the Attic24 blog and I decided to make something similar to put on a bookcase in my living room.
I already have the perfect jug which I found at the annual pottery market in my OH’s home town (I had the idea in my head when I visited the market so that made me more efficient in my shopping! 🙂 ), made by an artisan potter called Silvia Triebel.
A few weeks ago, I found this tutorial for crocheted butterflies on the Marie’s Making blog, it’s simple to follow and it doesn’t take long to make a butterfly. I had also found a diagram for crochet hearts on the DMC facebook page, from a Portuguese crochet club. That was nice, because it meant I had to learn how to read crochet diagrams! Here’s a close up of the heart I have made so far:
I thought a mix of butterflies and hearts would be cute. I’m using the DMC Natura cotton yarn I have leftover from my granny square blanket, which make this a very economical project (apart from the price of the jug). Now I just have crochet lots more hearts and butterflies, and find some nice dry twigs to hang them on!